We are looking for an exceptional mind to become the Product Director for our Data offerings. The “on-premise” is simultaneously the vital brand-building channel and a data black hole for the alcohol beverage industry. Furthermore, even the biggest and best-run independent bars and restaurants completely lack the data and insights to optimize their operations. Due to the unique canonical data foundation built into our system, our role as the “backbone” of our bars/restaurants, and the explosion of in-venue mobile ordering, we have the chance to change all of this. We’re the only company with precise, comprehensive, granular data on the what/when/how/where/who of what’s being consumed in bars and restaurants. We’ve labeled this as becoming the “Nielsen of the on-premise,” but that doesn’t even do justice to the depth of behavioral insight we can provide.
The primary role of the Data Product Director will be to bring this vision to life – publishing and building the audience for periodic syndicated data and insights reports for the alc bev industry and creating a data/insights feed for our bar and restaurant partners. The ideal candidate has experience analyzing data and presenting findings in a concise/cohesive manner and is a pioneer, an entrepreneur that can think, have fun, mentor, set strategies and help execute them. The candidate will take risks, ask for forgiveness and knows what is strategically important as opposed to the noise of everyday execution and does both well. And it’s a plus if you have some familiarity with the alcohol beverage industry
Here is all the cool stuff we want you to do.
- Take the vision and run with it. We know what’s possible. And we’ve worked with several alc bev industry veterans to begin sketching out our data offerings. You need to create the products and build the business
- Demonstrate incredibly strong conviction along with our organizational goals. No shiny objects yet have to be flexible and quick when changes must occur
- As the user base for our data products grows, build out a team where each functional area has a team member better than you in that particular area
- Operate by the highest standards of personal and professional integrity and ethics
Product Design and Development
- Lead design for the product offering. What is most compelling/useful to the audience? What is the compelling way to visualize data for readers? Balance data and insights. Infuse the Union branding/personality
- Collaborate with the Data/Development Team to create the infrastructure to ensure the necessary data is available in a format to enable publishing reports
- Expand the database, work with the Data Team to add new products as they are released, develop a more robust ontology system, enhance demographic data capabilities, etc.
- Leverage direct connection to consumers, bartenders, bar GMs to enhance observational consumption data with sentiment to get at the Why behind trends
- Listen to our customers to continually evolve our product offerings over time
- Determine subscription model balancing direct profit from syndicated data with lead generation for Brand Influence Programs
Data and Insight Publishing
- Produce user-friendly reports for both the alc bev brand and bar owner/operator audiences
- Identify and highlight key insights to make the reports as actionable as possible.
- Write briefs on new findings and trends to make the reports compelling. The data provides a scorecard readers can’t live without. And the “deeper dives” weave a story they can’t wait to read
- Work with Data Team to identify and address any potential data anomalies
- Develop and implement a Go-To-Market plan. How should the products be priced? What are the different product tiers? How do people subscribe?
- Build and Execute a plan to gain subscribers/readers. Spread the word to the right people working with alc bev brands. Drive bar owners/operators to consume the information provided. Who else might be interested?
- Generate leads for our Brand Influence products. Our Data and Insights products reveal key category trends. Our Brand Influence products can help drive the trends.
- Interact with your customers. Understand what’s most useful for them. Field their questions regarding the data
- Cultivate the view that Union is the “Nielsen of the On-Premise.” That we’re the measuring stick by which on-premise performance should be judged. That we provide data and insights that you’d be silly to run an alc bev business or bar/restaurant without. That no one has as precise, comprehensive, granular of an understanding of on-premise trends
Data Product Director Officer Business and Domain Expertise:
- 5+ years of analytics experience. Strong comfort with data interpretation. No data science background is required (we have plenty of that), but you must be able to quickly comprehend data, identify key insights, and determine what is most actionable for readers
- Exposure to all facets of product development – strategy, user research, product design, etc.
- Compelling writing – a demonstrated ability to tell a story that conveys the findings in the data. You don’t need to be a poet, but must be experienced at writing executive briefs to quickly/simply/interestingly enable readers to grok what’s going on and why they should care
- Proven success as a builder and executer. We are growing quickly, generating a treasure trove of data. You need to help design the product offering, build the user base, continually enhance the offering, and over time build a team to support expansion, all while actually publishing the product
- Familiarity with the alcohol beverage and/or hospitality industries is a plus, but not required
- An undergraduate degree is required; an MBA or other advanced degree is a plus but we aren’t snobs about that.
- Health Care we pay for: max $970/month for employee/family
- Dental: $40 per month
- Vision: $6 per month
- 401k match: 4%
UNION is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.